Our dress code is designed to create an energetic, lively, and consistent atmosphere at our school compatible with our vision of an educational wonderland appropriate to young children. Our policy is a “dress code” and not a school uniform, meaning you will not be required to buy specific brands of clothing. At Franklin Discovery, we would like to enjoy the benefits of a dress code (fewer disciplinary problems, improved behavior, security) without putting an extreme burden on families to buy expensive clothing. We reserve the right to change or modify the dress code should any guidelines prove to be distracting or dangerous.
Preschool students do not need to follow the dress code, but do need to be dressed in school appropriate clothes and closed-toe shoes that cover the entire foot (for safety).
Our School Colors
Boys and Girls:
- Collared polo or button-up shirts in white or one of the four school colors: yellow, purple, orange, or blue (see above)
- Moderate shade differences to our official school colors are ok, but no neon or light pastel shades
- Striped shirts (with school colors only) are acceptable
- Long or short sleeve
- A small manufacturer’s mark is OK (e.g. a Nike Swoosh), but no advertisements or other logos
- May wear a white long-sleeve shirt or turtleneck underneath during cold weather
- No hoodie type sweaters
- Jackets are not covered under this policy - students may wear (outside only) a jacket of their choice
Boys and Girls:
- “Docker” style pants (pleated or flat-front) in: blue, tan, brown, or dark khaki
- May wear similar “Docker” style shorts, in the above colors, that are no more than 2” above knee between April 1 and Sept. 30.
- No embellishments, patterns, or outside cargo pockets
- In addition to pants and shorts, girls may wear polo dresses, skirts, or jumpers in school colors, that are no more than 2” above knee.
- White or neutral tights or leggings are to be worn under dress, skirt, or jumper
- No embellishments or patterns on leggings
- Leggings may not be worn in place of pants
- Students shall dress modestly, maintain a clean, orderly, and neat appearance, and exercise good grooming and personal hygiene habits
- All clothing items must be in good condition (e.g. clean; no holes, rips, staines, faded cloth, or frayed edges; and pressed)
- Clothes and accessories may not be disruptive or cause security issues
- Hair shall be neatly combed or brushed, trimmed, and attractive in appearance
- Bizarre, extreme, or unusual hairstyles or unnatural coloring are not permitted
- Hair must be kept trimmed so that the student’s eyes are always clearly visible
- Shirts must be worn tucked into waistband
- The school logo may be embroidered on any top (e.g. shirt, sweater, vest, or jacket)
- Closed-toed shoes required; shoes must cover the entire foot
- No heeled or wedge shoes, wheelie shoes, or other distracting shoes
- Small (< 2”) hair accessories, in light or school colors, and without extreme embellishments OK